IGNOU Distance Learning MBA Details
Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) School of Management Studies (SOMS) provides students across the world access to its distance learning MBA education program.
The Correspondence MBA school of IGNOU became operational for admission in the year 1987. At that time, it used to award just one pilot program – i.e. Diploma in distance learning MBA education. It has now evolved into offering more than 10 programs comprising of 50 courses or more for students.
Not only does it cater to education in India, but also in Africa. In terms of scale, IGNOU MBA has a vast presence and one of the highest number of students across the globe.
Courses at IGNOU
- Doctoral Degree
- Doctor of Philosophy in Management (PhD (M))
- Master’s Degree
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- PG and Advance Diploma
- Postgraduate Diploma in Management (PGDIM)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Financial Management (PGDFM)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Human Resource Management (PGDHRM)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Operations Management (PGDOM)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Marketing Management (PGDMM)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Financial Markets Practice (PGDFMP)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Teaching and Research in Management (PGDTRM)
- Diploma in Management (DIM)
- Master’s Degree
- Master of Business Administration at IGNOU (Banking & Finance) (MBF)
- Certificate in Entrepreneurship (CIE)
- Certificate in NGO Management (CNM)
Note that even though a lot post graduate programs are being offered by IGNOU, only one course is actually the real MBA degree.
Students can opt for other IGNOU courses which are in the post graduate domain, however, one should note that technically, these are not equivalent to the normal MBA.
- IGNOU Prospectus (It will take a lot of time to load and is not of much use really, it’s more than 70MB in size)
MBA at IGNOU
IGNOU offers course wise registration for MBA degree starting from its inception days. Admission to IGNOU course is based upon certain eligibility criteria mentioned below.
A graduate with at least 50% marks in general category or 45% in the reserved category OR a graduate with experience of at least 3 years OR a master’s degree OR Non graduates with at least 6 years of experience and 10+2.
Also, candidates need to clear the OPENMAT conducted by IGNOU for admission into its MBA program. Note that students who have given their CAT/ MAT or other state level exam may be exempted from giving OPENMAT exam. The cut off for these exams is determined by the university every year subject to a minimum of 40%. OPENMAT is held twice a year. For further details, please refer the prospectus.
- Minimum Duration of the Course - 2 years and 6 months
- Maximum Duration of the course - 8 Years
- Fee For the Course - 21000/- INR
There is no bar on age.
Other Pertinent Information Regarding IGNOU course
The MBA course consists of 21 courses in total. These courses combine PGDIM, specialization courses, compulsory courses and project courses. It is very important that students should only opt for the courses which are available during that particular year. The courses within each keep changing every year and it may lead to complications at a later stage.
Master of Business Administration (Banking & Finance) (MBF)
Faculty at IGNOU Distance MBA
Prof Nawal Kishore | Director
- Prof G Subbayamma | Professor
- Prof S Srilatha | Professor
- Prof Kotaru Ravi Sankar | Professor
- Prof Kamal Yadava | Professor
- Prof Parimal Chandra Basak | Professor
- Prof Anurag Saxena | Professor
- Prof Tukaram U Fulzele | Professor
- Prof Shankar Narayan | Honorary Professor
- Dr Neeti Agrawal | Associate Professor
- Dr Gopal Jadav | Associate Professor
- Mr TV Vijay Kumar | Lecturer (Sr Scale) (On study leave)
- Ms Anjali C Ramteke | Lecturer (Sr Scale) (On study leave)
- Dr Nayantara Padhy | Lecturer (Senior Scale) (Transferred to CCETC )
- Dr Kamal Vagrecha | Lecturer (Senior Scale)
- Dr Leena Singh | Assistant Professor
IGNOU MBA syllabus depends on the course you want to pursue i.e. the specialization that you wish to pursue. The course for the first year happens to be more or less the same but diverts into different directions when you move into specializations. To know the exact syllabus, refer to the prospectus of the IGNOU department of management.
Assignments while doing MBA from IGNOU
Since the MBA course is a very practical one that involves a lot of practical detailing, the MBA from IGNOU is laden with quite a few assignments which students are expected to solve and submit. These assignments should be taken very seriously as they contain weight-age with respect to the final exam also.
IGNOU Entrance Test
For students who want to make it to the IGNOU MBA course, there is an entrance test which needs to be cleared first. If you have given any national level aptitude test for MBA such as CAT, you might be exempted if you score a certain level of marks. These may be determined each year depending on the proclivity of the IGNOU authorities.
School of Management Studies,
Indira Gandhi National Open University,
New Delhi – 110068
If you like this post on IGNOU distance MBA, you might also like to take a look at some of our other articles.
Some of the more relevant questions that the student seeks answer to before doing an MBA are
If you liked this post, please consider sharing this post on Facebook, Twitter or Google+. It really helps us and keeps us motivated.