Photo Credits – OhToast
Get Started With CMAT Test Preparation
Previously, MBA aspirants had to participate in a number of exams conducted by different institutions for their MBA programs in order to take admission. CMAT is a step to club together different exams into one and reduce the mental pressure faced by students every year.
CMAT is conducted twice a year within a gap of six months but the date pattern is susceptible to change time and again. Students have the freedom to appear for both the exams. The highest score among the two is taken in consideration during the admission.
If you have already prepared for CAT or XAT, you would find going more or less easy in this paper. The only difference would be the general awareness section which would test your overall knowledge. Expect a variable GK section for which regular reading of the newspaper, static history and business magazines should see you through with ease.
Now, About the Examination
- Duration of Exam – 180 minutes
- Date of Exam – February and September, twice a year
- Negative marking – 25% of maximum marks of each question.
- 4 Sections in total. These Sections are:
- Section 1 – Reading Comprehension, Verbal Ability, Verbal Reasoning – 100 marks
- Section 2 – Quantitative Aptitude – 100 marks
- Section 3 – General Knowledge – 100 marks
- Section 4 – Logical Reasoning – 100 marks
- CMAT does not has sectional cut-offs. Therefore, the merit list is prepared on the basis of total marks.
- If four students tie at the same score, higher rank is given to the one that has more marks in Quantitative ability. The preference is then given to the one with more marks in Logical reasoning, then Verbal ability and then General Awareness.
No. of Questions
Marks per section
|2||Verbal Ability/ Language comprehension|
|3||Numerical ability + Data Interpretation|
Eligibility for CMAT
- To be eligible to take this exam you should have a recognized Bachelor’s Degree of minimum 3 years duration with at least 50% (45% in case of candidate belonging to reserved category) at the qualifying examination.
- Candidates who are in the final year of the Bachelor’s Degree programs or who have appeared in the final year examination can also appear in the test.
Top Colleges Under CMAT
CMAT is the official MBA entrance exam for 12 states in India, including Uttar Pradesh, Maharashtra, Kerala, Rajasthan, Chhattisgarh, Nagaland, Goa, Madhya Pradesh, Jharkhand, Gujarat, Haryana and Karnataka. The state governments have already given their approval for CMAT as their official test.
Other then the aforementioned state colleges, many other b-schools that offer PGDM course will be accepting CMAT scores.
You can read more regarding the top colleges under CMAT over here.
Fees for CMAT
- The fee is Rs.1200 + Bank charges as applicable for General / OBC candidates. If you belong to the SC/ST/PD category then you need to pay a fee of Rs.600 + Bank charges as applicable.
- Candidates are required to pay registration fee either by Online (Credit / Debit cards / Net banking) or Depositing cash in any branch of State Bank of India.
- A typical testing day for CMAT will have 2 exam sessions. Session timings are as follows:
- Session 1: Testing will begin at 9:30 AM. Candidates are required to arrive at the test center no later than 8:00 AM for Security checks, Identity verification, and check-in.
- Session 2: Testing will begin at 2:30 PM. Candidates are required to arrive at the test centre no later than 1:00 PM for Security checks, Identity verification, and check-in.
Tips for Tackling Various Sections Of the CMAT Exam
CMAT consists of 100 questions divided equally in four sections. Let us have a look at what these sections are and what kinds of topics are covered in each section.
You can read about tips and preparation for each section over here:
Final Strategy For CMAT Used By Toppers
- Firstly, start with preparation and finishing the study material. It is best to study one subject and keep switching subjects every day. This is not a hard and fast rule but would still be better to help you keep in touch with different subjects. Check out preparation material for CAT at a discount over here.
- Then move on to revise the important questions. This should not be tough if you have prepared for CAT exam as well, as most of the material is much easier.
- Next Up, Start giving mock exams, review your performance and revise the topics in which you do not perform well.
- Note that CMAT is an exam still at a budding stage, many good colleges are expected to fall under its purview in the coming months.
Mock Tests for CMAT
- Mock Tests are one of the best ways to pitch your knowledge and skills against your competing students and analyze your weaknesses and strengths. Even if you are confident about your preparation, Mock tests give you a chance to measure your performance against other potential candidates.
- It is absolutely necessary for every student to examine the points of his failures after every mock test and try to improve them.
- One of the most helpful resources for Mock Test CMAT is TestFunda, and you can find the information regarding the same over here.
Helpline for CMAT
- Support is available by phone and email 24×7.
- Helpline number : 022-40679404
- Fax number : 022-25814283
- E-mail id: email@example.com