Chennai Mathematical Institute MSc Data Science Fees, Entrance Exam and More
|CMI MSc Data Science Placements||Details|
|Course offered||MSc Data Science|
|Stream||Data Science & Analytics|
|Fee of course (INR)||200,000/semester|
|Work ex required||Candidates with valid work experience will be preferred.|
|Eligibility||B.Sc, B.E, B.A, B.Tech, or B.Math degree|
|Admission Help||Click here|
Quick Links for Reference
- Course Objectives
- Programme Curriculum
- Admission Process
- Fee Structure
- Important Dates
- Placement Assistance
- Job Prospects
- Chennai Mathematical Institute Quora
- Other Courses Offered at CMI
- Contact Details
- Related Posts
- Data Analytics – Free Guidance Available!
While automation of processes results in operational efficiency, it brings with it the challenge of data security. A data science and analytics programme equip you with the skills to convert this challenge into an opportunity. It helps you to analyse, interpret, and use it to predict the future of your business.
This programme aims at preparing participants to take up intensive data analytics jobs in the industry. Students will acquire statistical and mathematical concepts that will enable them to analyse, interpret, and utilise big data. They will also be introduced to statistical tools such as Hadoop, SQL, R, and Python.
Course Duration: 2 years
Type of Course/ Medium: Full-Time Programme
Programme Curriculum/ Syllabus
This programme consists of four semesters. During the first two semesters, students will be required to undertake foundational core courses distributed as follows:
During the second year of study, students will only have 2 compulsory courses and six electives. The two compulsory courses are undertaken in the third semester. They include:
- Predictive Analytics – Regression and Classification
- Advanced Machine Learning
Students will then be required to choose 6 electives from the following options:
- Time Series Analysis
- Numerical Optimisation
- Bayesian Data Analysis
- Topological Data Analysis
- Algorithmic Trading
- Mathematical Finance
- Text Analytics
- Financial Data Analysis
- Multivariate Statistics
- Industry Project
Additionally, students will be required to undertake a summer internship.
- Candidates are required to access an online application form online through the institution’s official website.
- Candidates must submit duly completed forms alongside attested copies of academic certificates and identification documents before the deadline.
- Admission is strictly based on performance in an entrance examination, academic qualifications, and previous work experience.
- Candidates must log in to their online portal to generate an admit card. They must present the card physically when appearing for the entrance examinations in any of these centres:
- Ahmedabad, Bangalore, Jaipur, Agartala, Allahabad, Calicut, Noida, Bhubaneswar, Goa, Cochin, Hyderabad, Guwahati, Chennai, Tiruchi, Visakhapatnam, Silchar, Imphal, Patna, Kolkata, Mumbai, New Delhi, Ranchi, Shillong, Srinagar, Coimbatore, Trivandrum, Kanpur, Nagpur, Siliguri, Durgapur, Gurgaon, Pune, Raipur, Indore, Madurai, and Chandigarh
- The entrance examination consists of aptitude tests in statistics, computer science, and mathematics. It tests knowledge in matrices, probability, programming, logic, and discrete mathematics.
- Qualified candidates will be intimated using the addresses provided during registration. They will be required to pay the initial fee deposit to reserve their seat.
This is an immersive programme that utilizes in-class projects and internships to transfer hands-on data analytics skills. Students have access to hardcopy and digital learning materials. They will be required to engage in rigorous group discussions and participate in viva-voce presentations.
Additionally, students will be evaluated using different techniques to assess their understanding of concepts. Some of the evaluation techniques applied include impromptu tests, continuous evaluation tests, assignments, projects, internships, group discussions, and end-of-semester examinations. Students must meet the minimum attendance requirements and pass all the evaluation tests to graduate.
- Prospective candidates must possess a B.Sc, B.E, B.A, B.Tech, or B.Math degree from a UGC-recognized university.
- Candidates must have a background in Computer Science, Mathematics, or Statistics
- Candidates with valid work experience will be preferred.
The tuition fee for the programme is Rs. 2,00,000 per semester payable at the beginning of each semester. Students will be required to pay the fee using the online mode or a Demand Draft drawn in favour of Chennai Mathematical Institute and payable in Tamil Nadu.
|Applications last day||15th June|
|Admit cards availed online||From 18th July|
|Entrance examination||1st August|
|Results announcement||One month from the day when entrance examinations were administered|
CMI partners with several financial institutions to offer education loans. The partner banks will only award loans based on their internal assessment and following their rules. Some of the partner banks include ICICI Bank, State Bank of India, HDFC Bank, and Axis Bank.
CMI has a policy of financial inclusion that guarantees partial tuition fee waiver to meritocratic and needy students. Qualified students should apply for the scholarship online before the stipulated deadline. The merit list is prepared strictly based on the financial background of the applicants.
CMI offers placement assistance to all qualifying students. Partner recruiters conduct campus interviews for permanent placements and internships. Some of the recruiters include Adobe, Teradata, Credit-Suisse, TRDDC, Zen Drive, Ernst & Young, and Fresh Works.
MSc. Data Science graduates take up roles such as risk analysts, business analysts, computer vision specialists, artificial intelligence & machine learning experts, and data analysts. More than 90% of the graduates get jobs in companies such as Ford Analytics, Morgan-Stanley, Intellect Design, and Coriolis Tech. The median offer is Rs 7-14 Lakhs annually.
Ranking for Chennai Mathematical Institute
CMI is one of the most reputable institutions in India. It is a niche school that specializes in data-related programmes and has been ranked 160th in India and 18th in Tamil Nadu.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1: Is Chennai Mathematical Institute a government or private institution?
Ans: CMI is a public-private institution. It is managed by a governing council comprising eminent persons in India. The council receives substantial funding from the private sector as well as the government of India. Additionally, this institution is highly affordable and offers a variety of programmes ranging from certification courses to executive short courses.
Q2: Who founded Chennai Mathematical Institute?
Ans: The institution was founded by an Indian mathematician known as Conjeevaram Srirangachari Seshandri in 1989. He was a great researcher and the Seshadri constant is named after him. He has also received the third highest civilian honour in India – the Padma Bhushan.
Q3: Will I be required to undertake entrance examinations before registering for a CMI data science programme?
Ans: Yes, CMI has an entrance examination that tests the candidates’ mathematical skills and English proficiency. Additionally, candidates will be subjected to an aptitude test that comprises general knowledge questions. Admission to the programme will be based on the results of the entrance examinations, academic background, and work experience (if available).
If you have any questions, please ask us here – we answer every single query of students.
Chennai Mathematical Institute Quora
Chennai Mathematical Institute (CMI) has a solid infrastructure despite its small size. It has highly specialised in mathematics, statistics, and technology areas. This has enhanced its pedagogical efficacy in these areas. As a result, the institution has generated debate in Quora and other search engines. This article saves you the hassle! We consolidate all the information you need and present it in an easy-to-follow format.
- Official Website: https://www.cmi.ac.in/
- State: Tamil Nadu, India
- Prospectus Link: You can click here for the prospectus link.
Other Courses Offered at Chennai Mathematical Institute
|Other Courses Offered at CMI||Details|
|M.Sc. Programme in Mathematics||
|M.Sc. Programme in Computer Science||
Other Article You Might Like
- NMIMS M.Tech Data Science (Business Analytics)
- Ivy Professional School Business Analytics
- Data Science 360 Analytixlabs Review
- Manipal University Msc Data Science
- PG Diploma in Big Data Analytics JNU
Image Credit: Jeswin Thomas