Coronavirus Lockdown- 7 Motivating Tips to Study from Home
- Why Studying at Home Can Be a Challenge
- Proven Tips To Increase Your Productivity as You Study at Home
- Related Post
- Did you know that the coronavirus epidemic has disrupted the academic calendar for approximately 80% of all student’s world over?
- Well, this severe disease has affected more than 180 countries. In these areas, governments have closed down institutions and instituted measures to curb any unnecessary gathering.
- Consequently, it has become relatively difficult for students to continue with their studies. This disruption is particularly brutal to individuals who have restricted timelines within which they should complete their MBA studies.
- In this article, we’ve compiled crucial tips to help you study at home with minimal distractions.
Why Studying at Home Can Be a Challenge
- While distance MBA students are used to remote study, the disruption of their daily routine will undoubtedly affect their schedules.
- The situation is further compounded by the fact that these students will also be required to work from home!
- The sudden change of environment may lead to a reduction in productivity which will consequently reduce the time available for studies significantly.
- If you find yourself in such a situation, you should relax, adopt a plan to ease the transition phase, and ensure that you maintain topnotch communication. This way, you can be confident that you’ll handle all your obligations on time.
Start Your Admission Now
Start Your Admission Now
Proven Tips To Increase Your Productivity as You Study at Home
- It would be a plain lie if we told you that it’s going to be easy adjusting to the abrupt changes to your schedules.
- However, we’ll confidently tell you that you can indeed study at home and complete your distance MBA within the stipulated timelines. Here’s how:
1. Tune Your Mind to Study at Home
- You’ve probably heard multiple times that you should create an environment that allows you to concentrate on your studies at home. However, it’s unlikely that anyone has told you candidly about how you can achieve that, right?
- Well, we’ll tell you plainly that tuning your mind to study will not be easy; but it’s doable!
- To achieve this, you need to declutter your space. Always ensure that your reading space is clean, decongested, and attractive.
- Also, you may include a flower or anything else that can help in relaxing your mind and boosting your productivity.
- If you think that your working space is irrelevant, then you’re mistaken! Consider this study published by in the Journal of Experimental Psychology:
The study compared the productivity of two cadres of people: those who worked in a bare office and those who worked in a well-designed office with plants and pictures.
The results were mind-boggling!
Individuals working in the decorated office were 17% more productive than their counterparts in bare offices.
Even more interesting, people who designed their offices according to their likings were 32% more productive than those in bare offices.
How do you interpret these results?
- Well, it is clear that how you design your reading office will directly affect your productivity. As such, you should never shy away from including all the elements that will keep you happy and boost your concentration.
2. Always Stay in Touch With Your University
- Coronavirus has brought immense uncertainties in the education sector. Luckily, distance MBA and Analytics students have negligible changes to their programs.
- However, you must always keep tabs with your instructors to ensure that you follow all the guidelines laid down by your institution.
- Due to the interruption of regular studies, your institution may change the method of online knowledge dissemination methods to accommodate all students.
- If you miss any of these updates, you may find yourself locked out of crucial milestones of the program. As such, you should always engage your tutors and fellow students.
3. Use Modern Technology Learning Approaches
During these difficult times, movements have been curtailed in many parts of the world. As a result, you will not be able to attend Personal Contact Programs (PCPs) and other viva voce sessions.
Luckily, there are a number of technology platforms that will ease your study at home. Some of these platforms include:
- Learning Management Systems. During this time, students can access all the learning materials through digitized systems. Most of the institutions use this platform to access the students’ assignments, upload study materials, and keep them updated regarding their academic progress
- Google Classroom. This is a G Suite for Education Platform that offers a platform for students to interact with their tutors. The platform has a free option which enables tutors and students to share notes and engage in crucial academic discussions
- Video Conferencing Facilities. Tutors can use video conferencing to arrange for lessons with their distance MBA and analytics students. Some of the platforms applicable include:
4. Make Use of Research Journals
Besides these conferencing materials, students must take the initiative to subscribe to various journals that will help them acquire quality information regarding different distance MBA courses.
Some of the journals that you should consider include:
- Journal of Management Information Systems
- Journal of Supply Chain and Logistics Management
- Journal of Operations Research and Management
- Journal of Financial Planning and Management
- Journal of Business Ethics, Ethos, and CSR
- Journal of Global Marketing
- Journal of Human Resource Management and Development
- Journal of Information Technology and Management
- Journal of Consumer Behavior and Market Research
- Journal of International Business Studies
These journals contain some of the most informative research studies which will complement what you learn from the university’s learning materials.
Before subscribing, you must confirm with your institution on whether they have a long-term subscription with specific journals. Only subscribe to those that you need but cannot access them through the institution’s digital library.
5. Always Ensure Stable Internet Connectivity
- As the whole world tries to wade off COVID-19, a majority of people have been forced to remain at home throughout. As such, failure to have a reliable internet provider will lead to disruption of your studies.
- To achieve sturdy internet connections, you must research widely on all internet providers in your region. Afterwards, you should pick the most affordable and reliable provider.
- Once you have the connectivity, you must ensure that you set up your reading station in an area free from distractions—it could be your balcony, your garden, gazebo, or any other area that you would be comfortable with. As described above, you must ensure that you customize the office to suit your desires which will consequently improve your productivity.
6. Draw Your Study Timetable
Never assume that you will be disciplined enough to balance between working from home and studying. Even if you are always strict with timelines, you’ll likely be carried away by the corona tension!
As such, you must always have an elaborate timetable on all your daily obligations. Ensure that you follow it religiously to achieve the best results.
Also, you can use various time management applications to enhance your productivity as you study at home. Some of the common tools that you can consider include:
- myHomework Student Planner
- Pomodoro apps
- Distraction blocking apps such as StayFocusd and Anti Social
- To-do list apps such as Finish, 2Do, and Remember the Milk
- Google keep
These apps will always remind you to complete your tasks on time. Also, they help to limit the time that you use on counter-productive activities thus ensuring that you complete all your assignments in time.
7. Take Regular Breaks
While you could be desperate to complete as many tasks as you can, you should be careful not to overwork yourself.
If you’re too hard on your body, it is likely that your productivity will plummet. As such, you should take regular breaks and engage in rejuvenating activities. Some of the most effective breaking techniques include:
- Green Therapy. Interact with nature as much as you can. This has been found to release crucial hormones that relaxes your body and rejuvenate your body
- Engage in Your Favorite Activity. If you want to remain productive, you should only take a break to participate in an activity that will help you forget about all the worries associated with your regular schedule. This could be cooking, a walk, playing your favorite game, or even having a chat with your friends and relatives
- Take a Nap. Yes! Sleeping is one of the most effective therapies. When you feel the urge to nap, you should take a few minutes and honour your body. This will certainly boost your productivity!
The activity that you engage in during the break should always be refreshing. Ideally, you should choose your favorite activity and participate in it whole-heartedly during the break hours.
- Coronavirus pandemic has caused significant difficulties for students. It’s challenging to concentrate on your studies amid the disturbing facts about the severe disease.
- However, you must find a way to shake off your fears and continue with your studies at home lest you fail in your upcoming exams. To achieve this, you must change your lifestyle and focus on covering your program’s syllabus in time.
- While this may be a challenge, you’ll easily achieve it if you follow all the guidelines provided in this article.
- You’ll particularly have to embrace technology and use certified software to access assignments, ask your queries, and submit your work for assessment. It will certainly be challenging but it will be worth it in the long run.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Q1: Will Covid-19 affect students in distance learning?
Ans: No, distance students have minimal personal contact with their tutors. As such, these students will continue learning using the online platforms set by specific institutions.
However, all students must check with their universities on new rules that may affect their studies
- Q2: How will I undertake my examinations during the corona period?
Ans: Most institutions have advised tutors to arrange for alternative assessment methods for students. However, a few institutions that require students to undertake examinations physically have postponed the examinations indefinitely
- Q3: Can I defer my studies due to coronavirus?
Ans: No, the coronavirus situation has affected all students globally. As such, universities will develop a model to handle the situation for all students
- Q4: Which support will universities offer to students during this exceptional period?
Ans: Many universities have created reliable online systems to disseminate information to all students. Ensure that you check the platforms approved by your institution
Other Articles You Might Like
- What to Do After Graduation?
- Distance MBA Admission, Fee & More
- Why distance MBA Sucks or not Worth it?
- Top 15 Online MBAs in India in 2020
- Distance MBA vs Regular MBA vs Part-time MBA
Image Credit: Engin Akyurt