IIT Kanpur – Department of Industrial & Management Engineering MBA Program
- Courses and Duration
- Admission Process
- Accreditation Status
- Fee Structure
- Expected Salary
- Contact Details
- Related Post
- Free Admission Guidance Available!
- IIT Kanpur, Department of Industrial and Management Engineering (IME) was established in 1974 to offer management-related studies.
- It is a public institution that operates under the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India.
- It offers several doctoral, postgraduate, and undergraduate programs including M.Tech and MBA.
- IME’s MBA program was started in 2001 to produce management leaders with a much-needed technical background.
Course and Duration
- Two-year MBA program comprising of 4 semesters.
- All students must do the core course during the first year before specializing in any of the following courses in their second year:
- Operations Research
- Data Analytics & Management Science
- Industrial Engineering
- Operations Management
- Marketing Management
- Human Resource Management
- Students must do a summer project in an area of specialization. This increases the student’s research and problem-solving skills.
- All students go for an internship after the first year of study to get hands-on experience in business management.
- Numerous exchange programs are organized to help the students comprehend the international business environment.
- Lecturers utilize efficient evaluation methods including project presentation, group discussions, assignments, random tests, and oral examinations.
- Candidates must possess a bachelor’s degree in any of the following disciplines:
- B. Tech or B. Arch with mathematics being one of the courses in class XII
- A four-year degree leading to B. Sc. Engineering (must have mathematics as one of the core subjects)
- A four-year program leading to a Bachelor of Science degree with mathematics as a subject in the UG program
- Master of Science with mathematics as one of the core subjects offered
- Masters of Arts in Economics
- Candidates must score at least 65% aggregate marks or 6.5 CPI on a scale of 10. Also, the undergraduate degree must be obtained from a university recognized by AICTE, IIITs, IITs, NITs.
- ST and SC candidates are required to score at least 55% aggregate marks or a 5.5 CPI on a scale of 10.
- Candidates must appear for the CAT exam conducted by IIMs and present a valid score sheet (must have a score of at least 85 percentile). ST, PWD, and SC candidates must score a minimum score of 75 percentile and 55% in class X and XII examinations.
- Students in their final year of study are considered for admission based on the results of their latest examination. When such candidates secure an admission, they are required to provide results score sheets, original certificates, or a letter from the registrar ascertaining that the students meet the minimum requirements for graduating.
Admission to an MBA program involves the following steps:
- Candidates are required to access application forms through the institution’s website and only if you meet the eligibility criteria.
Start Your Admission Now
Start Your Admission Now
- Candidates must provide accurate and verifiable details. Also, they must upload accompanying testimonials on time.
- Duly-completed forms must be uploaded before the deadline. Late applications are rejected.
- After the application process, admission officials shortlists all candidates who meet the minimum MBA requirements.
- Shortlisted candidates are invited for a personal interview, group discussions, and writing ability tests.
- This admission phase requires physical attendance by the prospective candidates. Admission officials will evaluate the candidates’ abilities to the MBA program while verifying the accuracy of the details provided during the application.
- Each activity is awarded a score that will be used to decide the candidates to progress to the next admission phase.
Preparation of Merit List
- Admission officials will prepare the merit list based on the candidate’s performance in every admission step. The general list is prepared separately from ST, SC, and PWD list.
- The cut-off score for each category is determined by the MBA admission team.
- Other factors considered when preparing the merit list include past academic achievements, extra-curricular activities, and work experience.
- All prospective students will receive offer letters after which they will confirm their acceptance. Thereafter, the institution sends all the details about the program using the address provided during the application process.
- Accredited by UGC.
- Ranked 501-600 globally by “The Times Higher Education University Rankings”, 2018
- Ranked 7th best college in India by the National Institutional Ranking Framework
- Rs 94317 for general resident students and Rs 24, 317 for SC/ST/PWD resident students (per semester)
- Rs 81642 for general day scholars and Rs 11,642 for SC/ST/PWD day scholars (per semester)
- Needy and intelligent students can apply for limited scholarship opportunities
- IIT Kanpur, IME achieves approximately 98% placement success rate. More than 200 local and global companies participate in the exercise.
- The median annual salary offers for graduates is Rs 9.86 Lakh while the average salary is Rs 10.42 Lakh
- High pay graduates get offers of up to Rs 25 annually.
- Top companies that participate in the placement exercise include Accenture, P&G, Ernst & Young, Cognizant, Amazon, Bank of India, Ranbaxy Reliance Energy, Citigroup, TATA, and Deloitte.
- On average, an MBA graduate from IIT Kanpur earns Rs 12 Lakhs. However, this salary increases steadily and the majority of these employees earn more than Rs 65 Lakh by the second year of employment.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Q1: Should I send my academic transcripts and certificates during the application?
Ans: No, do not send these documents until the institution provides a platform to share the documents if/when needed.
- Q2: When will I choose my preferred campus?
Ans: You are required to choose the program and campus of your choice during the application process. However, you will have a few days to make the changes.
- Q3: Which payment method will I use when paying an application fee?
Ans: All payments are made online using credit cards or debit cards.
- Q4: Must I be a resident student at IIT Kanpur?
Ans: No, you are free to choose where to live during the two years of study at IIT Kanpur.
- Q5: How will I know that I’m qualified for a physical interview?
Ans: The institution has an online portal through which all admission-related messages are passed. However, you will also be informed using the details that you provided during your application.
If you want more details about the program, kindly write to the admissions office using the address below:
- Department of Industrial & Management Engineering,
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, 208016
- Email – email@example.com
- Phone +91-512-2596409 & +91-512-2596590 (MBA Admission Office)
- +91-512-2597376 (IME Office).
- Alternatively, you can visit the institution’s official website
Other Articles You Might Like
- Faculty of Management Studies, University of Delhi MBA
- Loyola Institute of Business Administration MBA Program
- PSG College of Technology MBA Program
- SIBM Pune MBA Program
- NMIMS School of Business Management MBA
Image Credit: Arushi Saini