How to Prepare For the NMAT Exam?
Narsee Monjee happens to be one of the most coveted B schools in India for mba. It is currently ranked sixteenth in the overall B School Ranking. NMIMS conducts its own exam i.e. Narsee Monjee Aptitude Test and this articles helps you find all the details regarding the same and how to prepare for it. Currently, NMIMS is a deemed to be university located in Mumbai, India.
NMAT Exam Details
The exam is conducted online across various centers in India. It currently offers MBA in the following fields:
- MBA in Capital Markets
- MBA in HR
- MBA in Banking
- MBA Tech
- MBA in Entreprenuership
About the Exam
The time duration for the exam is 120 minutes. The paper consists of three sections –
- Language Skills – Number of Questions – 32 Time – 22 mins – Cut off 55
- Quantitative Skills – Number of Questions – 48 Time – 60 mins – Cut off 61
- Logical Reasoning – Number of Questions – 40 Time – 38 mins – Cut off 74
- The overall cut off was 208 for the year 2012.
- Each question carries three marks.
- Students need to clear sectional and overall cut off in order to quality for the GD/PI stage.
Fee For NMIMS MBA
The fee for MBA programs of NMIMS is around 5.5 Lakhs per annum. The biggest advantage of the college apart from the course is its location i.e. Mumbai, which felicitates placements. The average package is around 13 lakhs as per the placement report. You can read further into the placement report here.
Eligibility For The Exam
10+2+3 degree in any branch of study or equivalent pattern recognized by the UGC & AIU with minimum 50% marks in aggregate at degree level.
Work Experience: Work experience in an Executive/ Management Capacity will be preferred.
NMIMS has three campuses in the country as of now-
For applying to all three campuses, the fee charged is slightly higher than the norm. As of 2012, the fee for only Mumbai campus was around 1600/- while 2000/- for all three options. Payment is accepted by both debit and credit card. The exam is normally conducted between October – November.
Books and Tips for NMAT Preparation
- For Quant – Arun Sharma, TIME Quant Book or Old Exam Paper of CAT would be good. Arihant Book by Sarvesh would be a good option as it is much more detailed. Check the book out over Here – It’s available on both Amazon and Flipkart too.
- The exam is of lesser difficulty when compared to CAT. However, the preparation method is much the same.
- For Verbal Ability, unlike CAT, you may find that the questions are geared towards being rather direct and knowledge based, rather than being inferential as is the case with CAT.
- Thus, preparing for vocabulary and verbal material becomes important. Normal Lewis is a brilliant book when it comes to preparing vocabulary, you can check that out over here – Flipkart and Amazon. Verbal Ability by Arun Sharma and Grammar by Wren and Martin are books worth consulting.
- For LR/DI, you can try RS Aggarwal logical reasoning and data interpretation. Apart from that, general LR DI preparation book of career launcher or other coaching providers would do just fine.
- DI is traditionally calculation intensive but easy.
- Quantitative Aptitude is easy to moderate level. CAT prep would suffice.
- You can navigate between sections and also choose the order of section, so choose your strength first, then the one you are least confident about and round it off with the last one at the end. It is important to make a good start as it affects your confidence, hence this strategy.
- Never get stuck on a question and make sure that you skim the entire paper. Many a times, the easiest of questions are given at the end and it becomes difficult to see them, especially in the online format.
- Verbal is not inferential, so be prepared for direct questions. The level remains easy to moderate.
- This is not a neuron intensive paper and since the section selection, skimming questions etc. elements still prevail, time management is by far the most important of all the elements.
- Keeping the eye on the clock is crucial and so is going after the easy questions first.
- Remember, it is not a test to check if you can solve the hard questions – it’s a test in which you need to just maximize your score, that would be all.
- Verbal Ability questions generally include Reading Comprehension, Fill in the blanks, Direct Vocabulary and Para Jumbles in effectively the same number.
Sample Paper for NMAT
- Practicing and getting used to the paper would help students adapt and score better. You can check out the NMAT Test Center for practice over here. The discount code for purchasing the same is available here. Here is a tip – The practice paper is available for around 250/- INR. Use the discount code to reduce it to around 220/- and then there are regular discounts on Test Funda and you can use both together. So you can get it for around 190/- only.
- Sample Paper – Offline mode – outdated option but its free, so you can give it a try nonetheless. Check it out over here and here.
Official Website/Registration for the Exam
Did you enjoy the article – Please like Us on Facebook, Google+ or follow us on twitter. Sign up for our newsletter. You can also track the writer on Google+. If you wish to improve this article, you can send your feedback at email@example.com.