University of Southern Mississippi Online MBA
An MBA from the University of Southern Mississippi will equip you with all the skills necessary to lead and manage a business for yourself or an employer. With cut-throat competition in the job market today, an MBA from this prestigious university might be the decisive edge you need.
The “online” part of the program means that you can earn your degree conveniently through the internet without ever setting foot inside a traditional classroom. You also get a waiver on the out-of-state tuition.
The program allows for a flexible schedule suited to your personal needs. You can finish the degree entirely at your own pace. The average student takes around 2 years to graduate. But as an online student, you get the privilege to complete all the necessary in as many as 5 years.
- Academic background: Candidates are required to hold a Bachelor’s degree in any field from an accredited institute.
- Work Experience: Although not expected, professional experience is highly valued.
- Prerequisite Coursework: All prospective candidates are required to complete the three core business prerequisites.
- Language: International students are required to score at least 71 on TOEFL or 6 on IELTS.
The cost for the Online MBA program is $451 per credit. With an average of 42 credit hours for the prerequisites and coursework, the total cost of the degree will be upwards of $18,942.
However, additional course fees in a range of $20 to $150 might apply depending on the coursework. There are also no scholarships, fellowships or assistantships available for the online program.
Class Profile and Potential Salary
- With more female students enrolled, the student body has a gender distribution of 43.3% male and 57.7% female.
- As many as 55 out of 100 graduates found employment the same year they graduated at an average salary of $50,871.
- GMAT or GRE are required for admission to the program.
- The GMAT score must not be any older than 5 years old.
- Any test scores are handled by the Graduate School directly.
- All candidates must score 550+ points on GMAT.
- GMAT can be waived for candidates that hold a master’s degree or higher.
- GMAT can also be waived for candidates with 5 years of management experience.
The primary coursework for the USM Online MBA program requires 33 credit hours in total. This is in addition to the 9 credit hour prerequisites. While the average student graduates within 2 years of enrollment, the program gives you the flexibility to take as many as 5 years.
The primary coursework consists of the following 8 courses at 3 credit hours each:
- Organizational Behavior and Leadership
- Marketing Management
- Analytical Decision Making
- Managerial Accounting
- Global Economy
- Financial Management
- Global Business Systems
All students are also required to complete 9 credit hours from the following list of electives (3 credit hours each):
- Economic Development
- Sports Event Security Management Emphasis
- Sport Management
- Study Abroad Opportunities
Candidates can apply for this MBA program online at https://www.usm.edu/graduate-school/apply-graduate-school.
You have to fill out a form with all the required information. Instructions are provided to help you submit all the necessary documents. An application of $60 is to be paid in advance.
Following are the three entry points offered by the University of Southern Mississippi:
- Fall Admission: · 30th of July is the final date for submission.
- Spring Admission: 9th of January is the final date for submission.
- Summer Admission: 25th of January is the final date for submission.
The University of Southern Michigan has an acceptance rate of around 60% for their online MBA program. As many as 73% of the accepted candidates went on to enroll at the school.
Reviews and Ranking
- The University of Southern Mississippi is ranked at 521 in Money’s Best Colleges Ranking 2018.
- USNews’ Business Programs 2018 list ranked this MBA program at 290.
Frequently Asked Questions
1). Can I request a waiver for the GMAT requirements?
You can request a waiver for GMAT if you hold a master’s degree in any field or have management experience of 5 years at the minimum.
2). Is there a minimum GMAT score?
There is no minimum GMAT score required for a successful application. However, the average accept candidate had a GMAT score of approximately 500.
3). Do I have to retake the GMAT exam if I had it before?
You don’t have to retake the exam if your GMAT scores are less than 5 years old.
4). What are the deadlines for applying?
There are multiple deadlines, depending on your entry point. Please refer to the “Application Timeline” section above.
5). Will I have to complete any prerequisites?
All applicants are required to complete three prerequisite courses. These are ACC 200, BA 201, and FIN 300. Each class is worth 3 credit hours.
6). How long does it take to graduate?
You can complete this degree in as many as 5 years. Past students graduated within 2 years on average.
7). Is the University of Southern Mississippi veteran friendly?
The USM has been designated as a Military Friendly School by Victory Media in 2015.
8). What is the minimum GPA required?
A minimum GPA of 2.5 is required for a successful application. If you have a GPA lower than that, you have the option to earn a second bachelor’s degree with a better GPA.
Graduate Program Advisor