The Ivy League… comprised of the eight most reputed schools in the U.S. and renowned worldwide for producing excellent graduates every year. Princeton, Harvard, Brown, Cornell, the University of Pennsylvania, Columbia, Dartmouth and Yale are the eight members, each of whom are distinguished for their unique characteristics and opportunities for students.
Now you may have heard the odd mother or aunt proudly boasting of how their son/daughter/niece/nephew received a ‘full scholarship to one of these prestigious universities.
Let us break the myth: there is no such thing as a ‘full ride’ or ‘merit scholarship’ from one of the Ivies; the only form of assistance they provide is financial aid which is given based upon the demonstrated financial need of each student.
However, there are still many popular external scholarships for which an eligible student can apply for. Below we have outlined the best scholarships to help you fund your studies in an Ivy League college.
Regeneron Science Talent Search Awards (Regeneron STS):
Applicants should citizens or permanent residents of the U.S.
- Award amount ranges between $2000 to $250,000
- Candidates need to submit a full scientific report upon conducted research on one of the following areas: science, math, engineering, and/or medicine
Forty people selected as finalists will receive a fully funded trip to Washington DC to attend the Regeneron Science Talent Institute..
NSF Graduate Research Scholarship Program:
- For outstanding graduate students pursuing a degree in any NSF approved, research-based masters or doctoral degree in the U.S; the scholarship is available for U.S. citizens/ permanent residents only.
- The program awards a three-year annual stipend of $34000 and a $12000 allowance for tuition and fees.
- Over 50000 scholarships have been funded by the NSF
Google Science Fair:
- This program is aimed at full-time students, enrolled in a private or public school anywhere in the world; age needs to be between 13 to 18 years old; sponsored by Google
- The award amount ranges between $1000 to $50,000
- Candidates need to create a science fair project in one of the specified categories (available in their website) to be eligible
The submitted project can be either a video or presentation and be submitted individually or as a group. Homeschooled applicants can also apply.
Horatio Alger National Scholarship Program:
- Applicable for college-bound high school seniors who are also citizens of the U.S. or permanent residents and are passionate about pursuing and completing a bachelor’s degree at an accredited U.S. institution
- The award amount is $22,000
- Candidates need to have faced and overcome a big obstacle in order to apply, as well as show involvement in extracurricular activities and community service
A total of 106 scholarships are awarded each year. On top of the award money, winners receive a fully-funded trip to Washington D.C. during the spring of their senior year to participate in the National Scholars Conference.
Harry S. Truman Scholarship Foundation:
- Targeted at U.S. Citizens or permanent residents who have an interest in improving the conditions of government agencies, non-profit organizations or educational institutions for the public.
- The scholarship is worth $30000.
- Students currently enrolled in undergraduate study and who meet the requirements are eligible to apply.
Out of 600 applications, only 55-56 scholarships are awarded each year. The scholarship is extremely competitive and participants need to have a strong academic record, as well as previous experience in leadership, community service, government internship etc. to have a solid chance.
Generation Google Scholarship – Female Students:
- Aimed at graduating high school seniors, undergraduate students, and graduate students who wish to pursue a degree in computer science, computer engineering, software engineering or a related field.
- The award is worth $10,000
- Eligible candidates need to either be women, have a disability, or define themselves as one of the following: African American, Hispanic, American Indian, Filipino/Native American/Pacific Islander
The scholarship is renewable.
- If you’re looking to pursue graduate study in the Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences, then the Beinecke Scholarship may help you out immensely.
- The scholarship offers an award of U.S. $34,000 for highly motivated students who show exceptional talent in their chosen course of study.
- Eligible candidates must be studying in a Bachelor’s degree and be nominated by Stanford through their Undergraduate Advising and Research program
Doodle For Google Scholarship:
- To apply, students need to be in grades K-12 and enrolled in a US-based public, private or homeschooled program, as well as be U.S. citizens or permanent residents.
- The scholarship offer between $5000 to $30000
- Applicants need to submit a piece of original 2D artwork based upon a given theme, featuring Google logo
A total of 6 scholarships are awarded. The money can be used to fund tuition fees, living costs , etc.
Golden Key International Honor Society Graduate Scholar Award:
- Offered to Golden Key Honor Society Members who aim to pursue an MBA in an accredited U.S. institution
- Award is valued at $10000
- Eligible candidates must be currently studying in their undergraduate degree as a senior, or a current graduate student
Experience in community service is also required to receive this scholarship.
The Ivy league is an extremely selective group of schools who accept only the best of the best candidates into their ranks. It should be kept in mind that, if selected, studying there is a once in a lifetime opportunity.
By applying to these external scholarships and combining it with their need based package a student can cover the financial expenses and pursue a graduate education in the Ivy school of their dreams.