Online MBA Programs for International and Minority Students
- Requirements for International Students
- Requirements for Minorities Students
- Related Post
- Online MBA – Free Guidance Available
For several years, universities and colleges have desired to connect students and other professionals with one another in their journey to prepare themselves for the challenges of the corporate world.
The online MBA format is a perfect option to achieve this mission. Thankfully, several Universities and colleges in the United States now accommodate foreign students who desire quality education in the country.
To be considered for admission, foreign students must satisfy some admission requirements, which is a bit different from what is expected from US-based students.
Even though it’s an online MBA degree, universities or colleges are not responsible for granting students’ visas. However, the University’s international student services can help students facilitate the process of obtaining a temporary visa to enable them to visit the school when necessary.
Online MBA programs for international students involves compulsory coursework, group work, academic projects, and discussion session conducted online through webcam and VoIP technology like Skype and WhatsApp.
As an international student, you must integrate these course delivery systems into your busy schedule regardless of the country you reside in. Plus, your internet speed must be capable of handling streaming audio and video.
All foreign students are to own the following device(s):
- A laptop or PC (Mac OS or Windows) with any of the following browsers:
- Internet Explorer
- Note: Android tablets or iPads will work perfectly with the course delivery system, but may not be efficient with other coursework.
- Built-in speakers or headsets and microphone
- High-speed internet / Broadband (minimum of 1.5mbps)
- HD Webcam
English language proficiency
- Foreign students must provide evidence of English Language proficiency by uploading their IELTS or TOEFL scores. Most universities in the US do not waive English Language proficiency based on ESL enrolment and professional work experience.
- To avoid a situation where your application would be delayed, we suggest you send your TOEFL scores to your desired university the moment you pre-register for the examination.
Other Admission Requirements for International students
- Aside from the requirements of a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline and evidence of at least two years’ professional work experience, the following are other admission requirements for international students:
International students seeking to earn an online MBA degree must submit the following documents:
- A completed admission form
- Academic transcript (both official and unofficial): The official transcript should be sent to the university’s admission office, while the unofficial transcript should be uploaded with your application
- Official GRE or GMAT score: Scores are only valid for five years. Please ensure that before submitting an application you’ve taken the GMAT or GREs. We suggest you send the official GMAT scores to the university’s admission office and also upload the unofficial score with your application.
- GMAT or GRE requirements may be waived if you have over five years’ professional work experience.
- An updated résumé clearly shows your skills, abilities, and accomplishments.
- One written essay
- Three recommendation letters: These letters are used to assess your achievements and managerial potentials. One of those recommending you must be a professional contact like your supervisor in the office. Each letter should reflect your teamwork, leadership, analytical, and interpersonal skills.
- International students will also have to show evidence of medical fitness or medical insurance
- Application Fee: You would be required to pay a non-refundable application fee. For example, at the University of Southern California, international students are mandated to pay an application fee of $155.
- An interview: An interview would be conducted via videoconferencing or the use of other VoIP technology. Prospective international students shortlisted for an interview would be notified by email of the day to attend the e-interview.
A student visa is required if you are to visit the school on an occasional basis, maybe to escalate a complaint or to personally meet your instructors. This is, however, at the discretion of the student.
In that case, you will apply for an F-1 visa. Once you are admitted to pursue an online MBA, the university will send you Form I-20 to enable you to process your student visa application. Complete form I-20 and take it along with your passport to the US consular officer in your country for assistance.
Evidence of financial solvency certificate
International students are required to complete the “Affidavit of Support” form to enable the consular officer to assess your bank statement whether or not it can sustain the academic program and your stay in the country. Your student visa application would then be processed after submitting all the above-mentioned documents.
Online MBA programs also accommodate underrepresented groups such as Hispanics, African Americans, and Native Americans.
If you belong to any of these minority groups and you desire an online MBA degree, in this section, we will walk you through the program requirements, financial aid, and scholarships.
Online MBA Requirements For Minorities
Online MBA requirements for the minority groups are the same for other categories of students.
Financial Aid for Minorities
- The Free Application For Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the number one provider of financial aid to students studying in the country. The agency offers more than $150 billion in loans and grants every year.
- To be eligible for FAFSA financial aid, you must be a US citizen, be enrolled in an accredited online MBA program, and demonstrate financial Insolvency.
- Aside from FAFSA financial aid, there are other financial aids available to minorities. For example, the National Black MBA Association provides financial aid to minority groups to assist them financially in the pursuit of their online MBA degree. The awarded amount is around $10,000.
Scholarships For Minorities
- Unlike financial aid which you must pay back, scholarships are not refunded. Minorities can take advantage of the scholarship offered by the following organizations to defray their tuition costs:
- The National Society of Hispanic MBAs: This scholarship is designed is to assist Hispanic students who are outstanding in their academic achievements to pursue their MBA.
- The National Black MBA Association: This organization award scholarships to all minority students pursuing MBA at an accredited institution.
- The Consortium for Graduate Study in Management: This organization offers a scholarship to more than 300 minority students each year. The scholarship is merit-based.
- The Robert A. Toigo Foundation: The foundation partners with more than 17 colleges to support minority students in their journey to earn an MBA.
- The American Indian Science and Engineering Society: This scholarship is targeted towards Native Americans to pursue a Masters’s degree in Business, Engineering, and Sciences.
- The Gates Millenium Scholars Program: This program intends to increase the number of minority groups pursuing MBAs in the United States.
If you have any questions, please ask us here – we answer every single query of students.
Other Articles You Might Like
- What to Expect in Your Online MBA
- University of the Cumberlands Online MBA
- Online MBA – What to Do After Graduation?
- AU Indiana Online MBA
- Emory University Online MBA
Image Credit: Mira Kireeva