SIU College of Business Online MBA
- Courses Offered
- Cost Structure
- Admission Requirements
- Class Profile
- GMAT Requirement and Scores
- How to Apply?
- Application Timeline
- Acceptance Rate
- Accreditation Status
- Reviews and Ranking
- Contact Information
- Related Posts
- The Southern Illinois University Online MBA is the perfect opportunity for students looking to enhance their professional credentials without putting their career on hold.
- With flexibility and convenience at the core of the program, it is no wonder that all 100% of the graduates were employed at the time of enrollment.
- It is needless to say that the program has been wildly successful among working professionals.
- The program is offered entirely online through recorded lectures. Just like the on-campus degree, the online version is accredited by the AACSB – The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business.
- This is the only accreditation acknowledged by the U.S. Department of Education. The U.S. News & World Report has named the program as one of the top online MBA programs across the nation.
List of Courses Offered
The program is divided between core courses and electives. There are a total of seven core classes worth 21 credit hours collectively. The following contains the names of all seven (each worth 3 credit hours):
- Managerial Accounting & Control Concepts
- Operations Strategy for Global Competition
- Financial Management
- Management & Org. Behavior
- Marketing Management
- Management Information Systems
- Business Policies
In addition to the above courses, there are also four electives worth up to 6 credit hours collectively. You can either choose to take all electives in a specific focus area or any combination otherwise.
- With a total of 33 credit hours needed for graduation, the program can be completed within 2 to 5 years. This is in line with the most frequent duration of time for new students to graduate – which is 2 years as well. However, your mileage may vary depending on your own pace.
- In the class of 2016-2017, over 86% of the students graduated within the three-year mark.
- The tuition is the same for all candidates, domestic or international, at $854 per credit hour. This works out to a total cost of $35,868 for the entire duration of the program. The fees are high in comparison to other degrees.
- Financial is not available in any form. Even with no college-funded aid on the table, as many as 44% of the graduates were indebted.
- The average debt stood at $46,196, which is a surprisingly high figure. Interestingly, a massive 74% of the students were sponsored by their employees.
- Academic background: A bachelor’s degree from any regionally accredited institution is required.
- Work Experience: Work experience is not necessary but highly preferred. A minimum work experience of 5 years is recommended.
- Language: TOEFL is mandatory for candidates who speak English as a second language. A minimum score of 550 on the paper-based or 80 on the internet-based exam is required.
Class Profile and Potential Salary
- The average new entrants had work experience of 184 months.
- The average age of new entrants was 36 years.
- There were no international students in the class of 2016-2017.
- All 100% of students were employed when first enrolling.
- The gender distribution stood at 62.3% male and 37.7% female.
- The average undergraduate GPA was 3.1.
- An astounding 88% of the graduates were veterans or active service members.
- The average alumni found employment within their first year of graduation. The average starting salary was $93,075 – a surprisingly high figure when compared to other online MBA programs.
GMAT Requirements and Scores
- GMAT is the standard admission examination.
- Score reports older than 5 years are deemed invalid.
- A minimum score of 550 is required for a successful application.
- GMAT can be waived for applicants with five or more years of professional work experience.
- A waiver is also possible for candidates holding a master’s degree from an accredited institution.
- Following is the procedure for application:
- Visit the official website at https://gradschool.siu.edu/apply/.
- Select the semester you prefer. Click on the Master’s application in the newly opened section.
- Your browser will be redirected to the Self Service Center. Enter your name, email address, your date of birth, a username, and a password for your account.
- Upon successful registration, the SSC portal will provide you with step-by-step instructions to complete your application. Follow each step carefully and enter all your information correctly. You may also be required to attach any documents (transcripts, qualifications, resume, etc.).
- Once your application is complete, you will be prompted to pay the $65 application fee. This is a non-refundable, non-waivable fee. Payment options include credit cards, international money order, and cashier’s checks.
- Upon successful payment, your application is automatically sent to the relevant department. At this point, you must wait to hear back from the university. You will be notified of any progress, or the final decision, on your application.
Following are the three semesters available for the MBA program:
- Fall Semester: The classes will begin in August.
- Spring Semester: The classes will begin in January.
- Summer Semester: The class will begin in May.
- According to the latest statistics, a total of 55 candidates applied for the program. Out of those, 44 applicants successfully enrolled in the program.
- This works out to an acceptance rate of 80%; which is just about average for online MBA programs.
- Online Masters Degree Program provides working professionals with the opportunity to earn a rigorous, accredited graduate degree without interrupting their careers. AACSB accreditation speaks to the quality of SIU faculty, programs, and the way College operates.
Reviews and Ranking
- Ranked#54 (tie) in Best Online MBA Programs by the U.S. News & World Report organization.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q 1: Do all candidates have to take the GMAT exam?
Ans: Candidates holding a master’s degree are exempt from taking the GMAT examination. The same privilege is extended to those with a minimum professional work experience of 5 years.
Q 2: How will I be charged for the program?
Ans: You will be charged on a per-credit-hour basis. As such, your total cost of the program depends upon the number of electives you choose.
Q 3: Are there any foundational courses?
Ans: Candidates with less than 5 years of work experience may be required to take foundational classes. However, the decision for it is made on a case-by-case basis.
Q 4: Will I have to visit the campus at any point?
Ans: The program is offered entirely online. As such, there is no requirement for students to set foot on the campus or even the U.S. for that matter.
Q 5: How long will take to complete this program?
Ans: The program can be completed within only 23 months. However, it all depends on your own pace of studies.
Q 6: Is the program veteran-friendly?
Ans: With an astounding 88% of students being veterans or active service members, this program is one of the top choices for military personnel across the nation.
- College of Business
- Director of admissions
- Southern Illinois University
- Rehn Hall, 133 — Mailcode 4625
- Carbondale, IL 62901-4625
- Office: 618 | 453-3030
- Fax: 618 | 453-2832
- Email: GradPrograms@business.siu.edu
Other Articles You Might Like
- UCCS College of Business Online MBA
- Drexel LeBow College Online MBA
- Mercer University Online MBA
- Quinnipiac University Online MBA
- Rutgers University Camden Online MBA