What to Expect in Your Online MBA?
- Classmates From Various Industries
- Experienced Peers
- Broad Networking Opportunities
- Face-to-Face Components
- Student Groups And Clubs
- Travel Opportunities
- Virtual Group Work
- Both Live and Self-Paced Learning
- About Two Years’ Worth of Coursework
- Opportunities to Specialize
- Related Post
- Once you have successfully gained online MBA admission to your dream school, the next thing that would naturally come to your mind is what to expect in the program.
- In this article, we will be taking a look at the top ten (10) things to expect in an online MBA program in no particular order.
1. Classmates From Various Industries
- The first major thing to expect in an online MBA class is that those that would make up the class are from various industries and backgrounds. From healthcare, medicine to information technology and business – in fact, the list of the industry is endless.
- According to experts, an online MBA student with a sales and marketing background would approach a business-related problem differently from those of medical or information technology background.
- This diversity would help you to solve business-related problems in unique ways.
2. Experienced Peers
- Another thing to expect in an online MBA program is that you would be networking with experienced peers. According to the available records and class profiles of most high ranking MBA programs, students have at least eight years of work experience in their various disciplines.
3. Broad Networking Opportunities
- Students who pursue an online MBA are more likely to enjoy networking opportunities, either in-person or virtually. This is not the case with the traditional MBA programs, as students live locally.
4. Face-to-Face Components
- Let’s face it; a few online MBA programs require students to travel long distances to campus or school sites. For example, the Bloomington Kelley School of Business requires students to visit the Bloomington campus to meet and network with faculty members.
- Another university that also practices on-campus visitation is Carnegie Mellon University. They make it compulsory for online MBA students to visit campus on weekends to study learning materials together with their faculty members.
5. Student Groups And Clubs
- Joining student groups or clubs is something you should also expect in an online MBA program. These groups or clubs are strictly career-focused and communication is often done virtually.
- At the Bloomington Kelley School of Business, online MBA students are expected to join at least two different groups, including venture capital and entrepreneurship. In addition, these groups might even help you to secure membership in professional organizations.
6. Travel Opportunities
- One good thing to expect in an online MBA program is the possibility of international travel. In some online MBA programs, students are encouraged to make international travel to network with captains of industries.
- While on a foreign trip, online MBA students are expected to explore the country and learn business trends.
- In 2013, it was reported that online MBA students of ASU visited the Nike headquarters in Vietnam and the Airbus headquarters in Grace.
- Similarly, online MBA students of the University of North Carolina—Chapel Hill signed up for immersions in Istanbul and Mumbai.
7. Virtual Group Work
- According to experts, online MBA students should expect to participate in virtual group coursework and assignments through the use of VoIP services like Skype, Telegram, Zoom, WhatsApp or videoconferencing.
- Plus, students would virtually give presentations and develop business plans.
8. Both Live and Self-Paced Learning
- An Online MBA program is a blend of self-paced and live learning.
- Experts say that the benefit of this delivery method goes beyond the flexibility of completing assignments and coursework on your own accord but would also enable you to understand today’s virtual workplaces.
9. About Two Years’ Worth of Coursework
- Online MBA duration largely depends on the program type and the institution of your choice.
- However, on average, you should expect to devote two years to virtual coursework, assignments, presentations, and discussions.
- This means several hours each week would be used for learning.
10. Opportunities to Specialize
- Online MBA programs offer an opportunity for you to specialize in any field within business education. So, if you want a career change, an online MBA would be an ideal medium for you.
- For instance, at FSU, you can specialize in real estate. Fox is another great institution offering ten specializations for its online MBA students to choose from.
Other Articles You Might Like
- Top 10 Online MBA Programs
- Top 21 Affordable Online MBA Programs
- Best Online MBA without GMAT
- Fastest Online MBA Programs
- Online MBA for International Students